Universal credit

Universal credit is a new, single payment for working age people who are looking for work or on a low income. Universal credit is being introduced gradually and the roll out should be complete by April 2017. It replaces:

  • Child tax credit
  • Housing benefit
  • Income based jobseeker's allowance
  • Income related employment and support allowance
  • Income support
  • Working tax credit

Work and Universal credit

With Universal credit, there are no limits to the number of hours that you can work. Your credit payment will reduce gradually as your own earnings increase so you won't lose all your benefits at once if you are on a low income.

A new website has been set up by the Department for Work and Pensions providing advice and tips about finding and applying for jobs. It offers practical help about how to create a CV and offers advice directly from employers and recruiters. Visit the website by following the link: Daily Job Seeker

Where can I get more information about Universal credit and what it means for me?

To find out more about Universal credit, whether you are eligible and how to claim it, you can:

Universal credit information for landlords

The Department for Work and Pensions has created two guides to help landlords understand how Universal credit will effect them and what safeguards are in place:

The Money Advice Service also has information for landlords, visit their website at: Money Advice Service, what you need to know if a tenant is claiming universal credit